You have to sort the skills based on market demand.
If you have studied in a famous institution or worked in a branded company include in the headline.
In short focus on all your strengths on your profile headline.
Rethink current & past job titles to match the trend.
Think about the synonyms of your current job title which is used in most companies & to the recent trend.
For example “UI developer” is not used in many companies in 2020.
They term it as Front-end engineer (or) Design Engineer
Change your current and past job titles according to the recent trend.
The goal of having a LinkedIn profile is to get found by the recruiters, not to show what job title is written on your ID card.
I stress this because this is the second thing that you have control to change. It has huge impact on your profile visibility.
Change your Profile Link to a meaningful, searchable one.
If you have a profile URL like the following
It’s time to change it to a meaningful one & brand yourself with what you do.
LinkedIn gives you a one-time opportunity to choose a user name for your profile.
Choose your first name and your role as user name.
If you are very sure that you are going to be a recruiter for your whole life do this step.
Choose your usernames carefully, Because once your user name is set, it’s set for life, it cannot be changed once more.
Now, change your name ( Scratch that one 🙂 )
I mean, You get the point, right? the 3 things discussed above are ones that you have control to change & it has the ability to drastically change your profile visibility in its recruiter search results.
There are other signals too.
Number of people endorsed you.
Your profile summary.
Past positions completeness
Your profile visibility (It should be public & open to new positions)
Here is a video taken from the LinkedIn recruiter tool, which clearly shows which information is searchable and which are not.
LinkedIn ads a class “searchable” to all the sections that need to be searchable.
In the video above, I use Chrome developer tools to highlight the sections, so that you get a fair idea of what you should focus on.
Perfect your profile summary
This is the first thing the recruiter will see once he opens your profile,
This Section is also searchable as shown in the video above.
For example in this profile above, he used all the job titles (ie UI Developer, UI Consultant, UI Designer) in the first line of the summary. It’s done for search tool, that’s why this profile ranked for term UI Developer
Now if you notice the next lines, HTML unicode characters are used to legibly portray his strengths (This is done for human readers)
Here are some characters you can make use of → ✅ ❌ ►❤︎
There are plenty of such symbols if you do a google search.
LinkedIn doesn’t provide much customization options for its content, so you have to make use of its HTML emoji symbols to make your description look legible.
Perfect all searchable profile sections
As shown in the video these are the searchable sections
Past Position title
Past Position description
Focus on all your strengths in the sections, write content without any grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes etc.
Include keyword-rich content and at the same time, don’t spam.
Search engines has become so intelligent, it can detect the natural language so well Vs. the language that is written to fool the search engines.
Here is a tool that detects how your language sounds.
Try Linkedin Premium
I am not endorsing LinkedIn premium in anyway.
I see at least one or two candidates out of 10 uses LinkedIn premium on a single page results.
It is denoted by a gold LinkedIn icon next to the candidate name in search results.
It means 10% of its candidates are premium users.
Regardless of the premium, all the profiles which appear on the first page are 100% completed & relevant for my search query.
As a recruiter, a candidate having premium means, he is serious about the job search & active on Linkedin. Contacting him is worth my time & he is going to respond soon.
You should also note the fact, that the remaining 90% its users are free users.
It’s just a choice, whether you need to be in the 10% (or) the remaining 90%.
LinkedIn also offers one month of premium for free for all its candidates, you can try it to see the number of responses.